Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Car Girl On Assignment- 2011 Honda CR-Z











Edmonton, AB/ Vancouver, BC:

The weather is hot and sunny and it's a beautiful day to test drive the latest and greatest from Honda: the The 2011 CR-Z 2-door, sports-coupe, hybrid. Yes, it's a hybrid! And what a fantastic little car. It is captivating, fun to drive and a wonderful new addition to the Japanese auto manufacturer's lineup.

From the outside, you’ll notice that Honda incorporates the progressively raked roofline and the sharply truncated tail. Now if you feel like you’ve seen this before, you probably have. The 1980’s and 90’s CRX sports coupe had a similar flare. Also, the first generation Insight and FCX clarity fuel cell vehicle had similar styling. In my opinion. I love how the CR-Z looks. I give it two green thumbs up. I tend to find Honda 'plays it safe' when it comes to exterior styling. But that's changing. Earlier this year the Crosstour made it's street debut and was anything but conservative-looking. Kudos to them. While there are some extremely polarized opinions about its quirkiness, I give the Crosstour big HECK YES. Feel free to disagree. But that's enough about the Crosstour...

The interior fit and finish of the CR-Z is equally impressive, and it's not boring!! It is comprised of various soft touch materials and a lot of nice textures that blend very well together. I’m particularly taken with the cloth upholstered sport seats. They’re comfortable to sit in and, I think, they look very chic. Also, the 3-D display is very future forward and user friendly. It’s almost impossible to get lost in this cabin so that gets two thumbs up from me.

Under the hood of the CR-Z is a 1.5L, 4-cylinder, i-Vtec engine combined with Honda’s Integrated Motor Assist which is their 10-kilowatt, Direct Current Electric motor. It has an output of, brace yourself, 122 horsepower and 128 lb-ft of torque. Those numbers might seem modest, and they are, but the CR-Z still has a good amount of pep and get up and go when accelerating.

The best part about the CR-Z is that is comes standard with a 6-speed manual transmission! While that might not be so exciting for some, I think it's rad. The other hybrids available to us only come in automatics and I'm always up for a shift! Woot woot.

Another fantastic part about this two-door, two-seater is that there is tons of trunk space. Although it's small from the outside, it's big on the inside. There is also lots of head and legroom up front since there are no back seats. In total, there is 25.1 cu-ft of trunk space and that space goes a long way. After arriving back in Canada from my European vacation (more to come on this!) I was a little apprehensive when I went straight from the airport to Honda to pick up the CR-Z with all our baggage. We had 2 full-size suitcases, a large duffle bag, 2 large carry-ons, a laptop, backpack and purse. Was my anxiety without just cause? It sure was. All the luggage fit like a glove into the back. It was amazing on so many levels, one because it was 2am and I really didn't want to go home in a taxi and come back for the vehicle!!

Having had the opportunity to not only drive the CR-Z on city streets and on the highway, I also put it through the ropes around the Stratotech kart track (http://www.stratotech.ca/) in Sturgeon County, Alberta. This gave me the chance to really test its handling. Did I have a great time throwing it around the track? Yes. Did it handle well? Yes. Better, in fact. I thought the suspension would have been a little looser and a little sloppier in turns but I was wrong. Would I drive like I drove on the city streets? Nope, but when I have the chance to, I will!

There is only one trim of CR-Z, which makes things very simple. But fear not, Honda has made sure that it comes very well equipped. Complete with ABS brakes, Bluetooth, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and much more, the 6-speed manual transmission has an MSRP of $23,490. The CVT transmission has an MSRP of $24,290. For a 2-door hybrid, that will save you money at the pump, that’s not a bad deal.

As you can gather from the above, there are a lot of highlights about this vehicle so it was hard for me to find my top 3, but I did and here are my Highlights and Lowlights for the 2011 CR-Z.

Highlights:
1) Cool styling on both the inside and out
2) It's a HYBRID!!
3) Great on gas and gets lots of looks

Lowlights:
1) Looks a lot faster than it is!
2) C-pillars are wide and can inhibit visibility
3) TBD!!

2 comments:

  1. Very inspirational to hear about someone pursuing their dream and becoming successful instead of following the traditional path.

    Honda car dealers in Thane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, its fastidious post concerning media print, we all understand media is a fantastic source of facts.

    Tow Mirrors

    ReplyDelete